You made an offer on a Los Angeles home and are nearing the closing date. Congratulations, the excitement must be building. However, don’t get so excited that you forget some basics. Even though your Los Angeles Realtor® will hopefully remind you of what is necessary, it doesn’t hurt to be on top of things.
- Coordinate with the Seller to order the utilities turned off in advance so that you can call and put them into your name without a fee. The effective date should be the date you are scheduled to close. If you are not sure of the utility companies involved then ask your Realtor® to find out from the Listing Agent. If the property has been vacant for a while and utilities have been turned off then you may be charged a connection fee.
- Arrange for a locksmith to meet you on the closing date or soon after to change the locks. You don’t know who has had access to the keys over the years.
- If you are moving into a condominium building you may have to reserve an elevator for your move and be charged a non-refundable fee and possibly a security deposit which will be returned if there is no damage. Make sure you have the details of whom to call to make those arrangements. There will be nothing worse than planning your move only to find out that you cannot get into the building. Also be aware that some buildings, especially luxury, full-service buildings, require that your movers be fully licensed and bonded. This will be a relief to friends and family members who will not be enlisted to help.
- If you are moving into a house, did you remember to set up the alarm service? How about finding out the name of the gardener the previous owners used?
- If you are renting do you need renter’s insurance? That would be a good idea, especially in a single family home or condo which is furnished.
There are things you will be required to do during the escrow process, but when the scramble of that process dies down and you near your closing date, sit down and make a list of everything that is left do is move in and enjoy your new home.
|Need Help? Have questions? Fill out the CONTACT FORM or call Jane at 310-473-6919