I remember when I first came to Los Angeles many years ago, going to the Friars Club in Beverly Hills and seeing the likes of Milton Berle, Suzanne Pleshette, and numerous other personalities wandering around.
The buffet at the Friars Club was amazing. More food than you could ever think of eating. It was old Hollywood personified.
This piece of Beverly Hills real estate is no more. The Friars Club Beverly Hills, a branch of the famed New York establishment of the same name opened in 1947. In 2007, after losing a lawsuit to its New York namesake, it changed its name to Club 9900 and closed shortly after.
The Friars Club has lost another battle waged by the Los Angeles Conservancy Group to include its 1960’s modernist design in the California Register of Historical Resources. The architect, Sidney Eisenshtat, was a prominent Los Angeles figure known for his oversized interiors and exteriors of brick, thin slab or concrete.
Unlike Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, has no preservation ordinance, but there is a move next year to possibly implement the Mills Act, which offers tax credits to Los Angeles homeowners who preserve historic structures.
Had there been plans to rebuild after the demolition, the City of Beverly Hills might have had some review power. But, as of now, there are no plans in the works.
Map of Friars Club Beverly Hills
Buying or Selling Los Angeles Real Estate
Buying or selling a Los Angeles home can be a daunting process in a city this size, especially if you’re new to L.A. Town. You’ll need a resident expert to show you around and help you narrow down the areas where you might like to live. I will help you find the perfect home in the right area to fit your lifestyle, budget and needs!
When I list and sell Los Angeles homes for my clients I strive to make the experience a pleasant one. My mission is to provide outstanding service while utilizing the best practices and systems available.
If you are an absentee owner, you’ll need someone to handle all the details that you can’t handle remotely. That’s where I come in – I’m there when you can’t be. I also specialize in lease property in Los Angeles.
Westside Los Angeles Real Estate, including, but not limited to:
- Westwood Real Estate – Westwood single family homes, Wilshire Corridor condominiums, Century City condominiums
- Brentwood Real Estate – Brentwood single family homes, Brentwood condominiums
- Santa Monica Real Estate – Santa Monica single family homes, Santa Monica condominiums
- Beverly Hills Real Estate – Beverly Hills single family homes, Beverly Hills condominiums
- Culver City Real Estate – Culver City single family homes,
- Palms/Mar Vista Real Estate – Palms/Mar Vista single family homes, Palms/Mar Vista condominiums
- Silver Lake Real Estate – Silver Lake single family homes, Silver Lake condominiums
- Echo Park Real Estate – Echo Park single family homes, Echo Park condominiums
For more information on how I can best serve your Los Angeles real estate needs, please fill out the online contact form or give me a call at 310-473-6919.